Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Work in Progress Wednesday 180



Hi everyone! I hope your week is going well. I've had a nice week of packing orders and waiting for a large yarn order to arrive. It finally did yesterday, so I got right to work on the monthly subscription orders I still have to dye/ship out for February. Sorry for the delay, if you're one of the people who hasn't received theirs yet, but my yarn was held up due to weather. I hope to have all February yarn shipped by Monday.

Due to the delay, I have had time to knit which is nice! This weekend I didn't get much time, as we went to the zoo, bowling and did a ton of yard work this weekend. However, I now go to a knit group Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday, so it gives me time to semi-focus. To be honest, I don't get much knitting actually done in knit groups, but it's great for the social aspect of my life. Working by myself (most days) from home can get a little lonely. Thank god for Netflix and podcasters.






This is the sock I started with the February colorway, Broken Heart Tart, which is available on the website. I love love love how it's knitting up. I'm using the Waffle House stitch pattern, but converted it to cuff down and also did a Eye of the Partridge heel. I'm knitting them on size US 1, because I think I'm knitting a little looser than I have before and I usually knit socks on US 1.5. We'll see how these fit.  I'm actually a little further than it looks here, as this was the beginning of yesterday and I worked on them throughout the day. I'm about a 1/4 of an inch away from the toe. Woohoo! I plan to cast on the second one right away so I don't have serious one sock syndrome.



Since I'm pretty much insane (head meet desk), I decided I needed to start a sock blanket, where you knit hundreds of mitered squares with sock yarn and connect them as you go. Oy! What am I thinking? I think I'm just tired of seeing so many scraps of sock yarn sitting around my house. However, this will only make them even more unusable as I don't think I want two squares to look alike. We'll see. I may change my tune quickly. If you are interested in swapping sock yarn bits, PM me on Ravelry (hpseeker4 is my username). If I get enough people interested, maybe we can organize a swap. I have tons of Candy Skein extras, as well as other yarn companies (mostly indie dyers).


That's it for me today. I hope you all have a great rest of your week and I'll see you here on Friday, with hopefully a finished Waffle House sock (but not the pair unfortunately).



For those that are new to WIPW, to share your WIPW post with us, just fill out the Mr. Linky below. Despite it saying you must comment, don't feel as if you do. That is something Mr. Linky automatically adds. I just ask you to check out a few of the links posted to see what everyone else is working on and comment there if you can. Everyone loves feedback and a little encouragement on their projects! Also, please link back to this post in your post to get the word out! The more the merrier!


17 comments:

  1. Your are a busy person, but your knitting work looks beautiful.
    Thanks for WIPW!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the idea of a sock yarn blanket, I haven't knit many socks as yet so my blanket would probably be doll sized!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I love it - I am going to have to learn the Waffle House stitch!

    Sock yarn blanket... you've made my day! My month - and possibly my year, even. You see, I've been trying to think of how to make a blanket with souvenir yarn - and the ladies at our LYS convinced me that sock yarn makes great souvenir yarn. But with as often as we move - and travel in general - I didn't think I'd need THAT many socks (or mitts - or anything else made with sock yarn). But a skein of sock yarn = a portion of a blanket. Hmmmmm...... :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great idea for you then! You just make small squares and attach as you go. Check the pattern out on Ravelry. http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/sock-yarn-blanket

      Delete
  4. Have to check out that waffel house stitch pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always take a really simple project with me when we meet in the knitting group. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You would not believe how many people want sock minis (for the Beekeeper Quilt, sock yarn blankets, bits and bobs for baby things, etc.). I know of an entire group that focuses on destashing minis (the group is called Mini Mall)...might be worth looking into.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I actually am apart of that group, as I did a mini swap bundle of exclusive Candy Skein colorways for them based on birds of the world a few years ago. :)

      Delete
  7. Love how that sock is knitting up, more love to that name...Broken Heart Tart! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hear ya - netflix and podcasts are so great for us isolated work-from-home folks! I just bought a chromecast thingy for my entertainment center which I'm pretty excited to try out. Love the socks...and the yarn...and the names of the colors! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love all of the links. I do not knit. I do crochet. Thanks for sharing your talents!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for hosting! And wow, you´re like a sock-making-machine! :)) Have a great day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love that waffle pattern. It's definitely going on my queue!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your sock and I wish I had a knitting/crocheting group to get together with. You must live in Florida if you were out working in the yard! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful colors in the mitered square. That will be a labor of love!
    Happy Knitting!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love your sock. Like to see wip's and what others are knitting & crocheting. I don't get out much. It's a pleasure to see you work. Brightens up my day. Back to my granddaughters knitted blanket project. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete