Friday, August 31, 2012

FO Friday 102

HAPPY FRIDAY! This week has seemed like an eternity to me! On Wednesday it felt as if it should be Friday. I'm guessing it's because of the holiday weekend (Labor Day) this weekend, as well as having a bunch of stuff I had to do this week (like the horrid dentist). My husband is also working crunch hours, so it's a lot of time with me, myself and I. Now you probably know why I have another FO right after last week's!




Speaking of that FO, I actually finished them before you saw them (recently) on WIPW, so to remind you, here's a picture of me balancing on a tree stump VERY carefully while taking a picture of my own foot. I had my other foot on another part of the tree that hadn't been cut down.



Here's a picture of me completely balancing on the stump so that you can see there are actually two socks finished! This pattern is Horcrux Socks. I actually started them on May 15th, 2012, hence why they are knit in Candy Skein Monthly Sock May colorway, Candy Skein 1st Birthday. You may notice that one of the socks looks a little smaller than the other in the above picture...



That's why I keep showing you the right one, because it's the sock that actually fits the way it should. Well, that and I'm left handed/footed so I have better balance standing on my left leg. You see, I knit the first one (make that, the left one) as the pattern said for the heel turn/gusset/toe (the heel flap I changed, as the pattern calls for a stockinette stitch heel and I wanted to continue the ribbing down). I should have gone with my gut and knit the heel turn and gusset how I normally do. Unfortunately, it's a little tight. Wearable, but tight. Due to that fact, despite loving the way the right sock fits, I'll probably keep these in the drawer until all other pairs are dirty. They are pretty though!

And one last picture because I was having fun! These were taken in my back yard, which overlooks a public pond! I'm sure my neighbors now think I'm insane (if they didn't already) as I climbed all over the tree trying to get good angles while bending down and taking the pictures of my stocking feet.

And yes, the tattoo is all heeled now! YAY!


Materials used:

Candy Skein Yummy fingering in May '12 colorway, Candy Skein 1st Birthday

Size US 0 needles w/ 32" cable

Horcrux Socks

Darning needle

Notes: As mentioned, I knit the heel flap different from the pattern. I carried the ribbing down instead of doing straight stockinette. I also added 5 more rows of ribbing before starting the heel flap as these are pretty short socks. The first one, I followed the pattern for the heel turn and gusset, but for the second sock I just used my favorite method so that the sock would fit better.


Also, if you haven't seen it yet, I had a Candy Skein update yesterday, including the September '12 colorway reveal and a few new colorways!

That's it for me today! I hope you have a great (and safe) holiday weekend if you're in the States!

Share your FOs!


27 comments:

  1. Beautiful socks, but yes, they look a bit tight. The tatoo is great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, how I wish I had the patience to knit socks... Never mind that they are to tight, you can always gift them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great socks, I love the pattern and the color is gorgeous. Very interesting photos!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looking so soft and awesome. Love the colour and you knitted them so neat!

    ReplyDelete
  5. They are looking awesome, a shame that they will be pair that are used when all others are dirty though. The tattoo is really cool

    ReplyDelete
  6. They came out great! I would have loved seeing you balance with your camera takin pictures of your socks. I once talked my flatmate into taking pictures of my socks (on my feet) next to the channel at the end of the street. Must have been a sight, too. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. They came out great! Mine is all about socks, too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So gorgeous! I really wish I had one, but had a few issues this week.

    I've done a Follow Friday style blog-post today, and I've featured your blog on it. I'd love it if you could recommend three blogs to me that you love to read, but if you don't have time that's no problem at all. (The blog is www.plutoniummuffins.com if you want to check it out.)

    Thank you for being a source of inspiration to me!

    Corrie xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Corrie, thank you! I'll check it out. :) As far as blogs I read, I don't read too many consistently. I just don't have the time anymore. I try to make it to a few WIPW and FO Friday blogs each week. I also try and keep up with the Yarn Harlot blog in spurts!

      Delete
  9. LOL... left footed. Yeah come to think of it I think I am too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, are you right handed? I'm left handed, but do most things with my right. I write with my left and crochet with my left, but pretty much everything else is with my right. I even throw a ball with my right! That being said, I have better balance on my left foot.

      Delete
  10. I love that pattern every time I see it! I guess I'd better queue it! I've pretty much given up on photographing socks on my own feet; I'm just not acrobatic enough to get the photos I want :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your acrobatics! The socks are also pretty awesome. Enjoy the weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those are beautiful! I'm sorry the heels don't fit as well as you would wish. :(

    But good on you for being such an inspiration to your neighbors. Maybe they'll take up some similar photographic acrobatics of their own for your amusement!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like when I can make some modifications to the pattern I follow :) Nice socks!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the socks!!! Think I have to add those to my list.

    ReplyDelete
  15. A pity about the 'left' sock but they both look good. Love the colour, and also the ribbing. I always think that ribbing looks 'classy'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree on the classy part! If only it wasn't so boring! ;)

      Delete
  16. so jealous!!! the socks are a gorgeous color & they are just beautiful all together! great job! :o) have a great friday!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful socks. Love the colour and the pattern.
    Ali x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great socks; cool tat! Aren't you a rebel. What's it of?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's actually my second tattoo. You can see the full thing here: http://tamisamis.blogspot.com/2012/08/fo-friday-100.html

      It's for the LA Kings (hockey team) Stanley Cup win this past season.

      Delete
  19. I really like the cuff detail, I need to figure out what to do with my Candy Skein, I need to report back to my MIL about how it knits up :D

    Surely, it is in the name of SCIENCE!

    Molly : )

    ReplyDelete