Friday, December 30, 2011

A Look Back and a Look Ahead to the New Year!

First off, happy new year everyone!!!!!!! It's New Year's eve and I hope you all have a fun and SAFE time celebrating the start of 2012. We have a pretty quiet night on tap, but I think after our trip, we're happy for it.

I wanted to write a year end post to thank you all of you for being so awesome. You've not only supported the blog through the past year and a half, you have encouraged me not only to improve (and take up) knitting, but you've also been a huge part of Candy Skein. Without all of you, I would have never dreamed that I could have opened up my own hand dyed yarn shop and been successful. You've let me live my dream, and I thank you for that.

As you can imagine, it's been a crazy year for me. A year ago, almost to the day, my husband and I were sitting in the Trader Vic's restaurant in San Francisco trying to think of a cleaver name for my company. That's when and where Candy Skein was born. Since then, he's done all of the artwork for me, I built the website, dyed a LOT of yarn (I was trying to figure out how much I've dyed, but that's pretty hard. Let's just say 100s of skeins) and opened my virtual doors to you. I've done two shows/fairs and will be doing at least 2-3 more next year. Candy Skein is growing each month, as all of you spread the word loud and wide. I can never thank you all enough for that. I have great plans for Candy Skein in the next year, and I hope that you will join the wild ride with me.

A year ago this month, I learned how to knit, thanks to all of you. You were amazing sending me videos and tips, as well as projects for me to try. Not only did I learn to knit, I love it way more than I could ever imagine. Sadly, though I still love crochet, I can't remember the last time I picked up a hook to do something other than catch a falling stitch. Knitting has become a part of me and my life, and because of it, I've met amazing people. I went out seeking a knitting group in my local area and found a group of amazing ladies that I thank my lucky stars for each day. They've not only become close friends, but I think of them as part of my family. Each Monday night, we sit around a table for three hours and laugh while (kind of) knitting. I never seem to get a ton done (this past week, I knit a total of 1 row), but I wouldn't give up that time to anything else. They've taught me so much about knitting, yarn and even life and I can't repay them enough.

I've come so far in my fiber arts endeavor in 2011 it's remarkable. I completed 25 projects this year, and have another few that will be finished in the next few weeks of 2012. I bought and used a LOT of yarn (though, not as much as I'd have liked) and survived a yarn diet. I have so many projects dancing in my head for 2012, I can't even believe it. I have a few 2012 knitting resolutions I'd love to share with all of you! I hope you make me stick to them, and it will be fun to look back in a year from now to see how many I've accomplished.

2012 Knitting Resolutions

1. To use at least 40-50 skeins of yarn from my stash. I know that will be hard, but I think I can at least come close!

2. To finish my first sweater, and make at least one more in the next year.

3. To learn how to make cables and how to do stranded/colorwork knitting.

4. To finish all the socks in my knitting group's Harry Potter sock challenge (one pair each month of the Harry Potter sock patterns on Rav by Erica Lueder.

5. To keep track of my stash better on Ravelry so I have some kind of idea of all that I own.

6. To sell at least three times as much Candy Skein yarn as I did in 2011.

7. To be better about blogging. I know I'm pretty good about WIPW and FO Friday, but I hope to have more regular posts, much like this one. I want to start doing knitting book and podcast reviews and more! Make sure you really keep me to this one.

8. Finish at least 10 more projects than I did in '11.


That's about it really. Oh, I know I haven't posted in awhile about A Year of Projects, but I am still following it! So far I've finished 7 of my 21 projects listed. A few I've changed to other projects/yarn as I've worked. I know that's not a ton, but I'm going to keep knocking them off. I have about half the year to do it in. Wish me luck!

Again, I hope you have a very happy and SAFE new year. Let's all toast to our knitting and crochet!!!!

Love, Tami

6 comments:

  1. Good luck with your goals, especially number 6!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a lot of goals- and some pretty big ones. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some of your goals mirror my own so I'm going to coming here more this year for support and to support.

    Congrats on all you've done with Candy Skein and I sincerely wish for you continued success with this business in 2012!!!!

    Cheers!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an inspiring story! Here's to making all your dreams come true for 2012.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you everyone! I hope all of you have a great 2012, too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy New Year! Great goals, hope 2012 is a fantastic year for you. Dyeing is such fun, and every time I see your posts I'm inspired to break out my dye pot properly again!

    ReplyDelete